Wednesday 8 April 2015

My Top 10 Saddest Buffy Episodes

1. The Body
This episode practically paralysed me with grief, not just because it was the death of Joyce, but because it is a fear that pretty much everyone has. The loss of a loved one, in an abrupt and quick way. No chance to say goodbye, no last memories, just loss. Even thinking about it makes my eyes glaze over. I'm a sappy cow thou, so you'll have to forgive me. What makes this episode even harder to watch is when Anya doesn't understand mortality. As a 1000+ year old ex-vengeance demon, you would think she would be used to death, but she was never on the receiving end of the grief. Her speech was gut wrenching. 

"Mom?..... Mom?.... Mommy?"

2. Prophecy Girl

Not many people agree with me on this one, but Prophecy Girl always makes me sad. Can you imagine being told at the young age of 16 that you are going to die, and there is probably nothing you can do about it. I know people get told that every day when battling diseases, but this is obviously completely different. I'm extremely selfish, so the thought of having to die to save the world.... fuck that! 


"Giles, I'm sixteen years old. I don't wanna die."

3. The Gift

Spike crying at the loss of Buffy...... need I say more?

"I made a promise to a lady."

4. The Wish

This episode was harsh because of the nonchalant way Buffy staked Xander. I mean, I know in the episode their friendship didn't exist, but I still remembered the past two and a half seasons, so seeing her just take him out (and stroll straight through Angels ashes) was like a massive gut punch. Also, the neck break at the end was brutal.  

"You trusting fool! How do you know the other world is any better than this?"

5. Passion

Of course Jenny's death was going to be in the list. Not just because she died, but because her death destroyed any hope I had of Angel regaining his soul and joining the gang again. The way Giles found her in his apartment was so cruel, and the way Willow reacted when she was told over the phone nearly killed me. This entire episode was a major bitch-slap to the feels. 

"Sorry Jenny. This is where you get off."

6. Wild at Heart

Alyson Hannigan is an amazing actress when it comes to sad scenes (even in How I Met Your Mother when she had to tell Marshall about his dad) so it was inevitable she would be on the list again. This time it was her break up with Oz that got me snot-sobbing. I don't really get emotional when it comes to relationship break ups, but this one was a stinger. This was one of the first times I've ever felt sorry for a cheater, because technically it wasn't his fault. He is just a were-whore. 

However......... him leaving meant we got Tara, so it ain't all bad. 



"My whole life, I've never loved anything else."

7. Forever

I had to give this episode a little shout out because to me this episode was quite sad. Buffy dropping her grown up facade for a split second when she thinks her mum is at the door. Heart wrenching. Truly heart wrenching.

"I liked the lady! Understand monkey boy? She was decent. She didn't put on airs. She always had a nice cuppa for me."

8. Seeing Red

The whole sixth season finale was painful. When Tara arrived on the show it didn't take long for her to become one of my favourites, so when they killed her off, it was like losing a sister. There were so many shitty characters *cough* Anya *cough* that they could have got rid of, but no, They had to kill of Tara, in the most brutal way possible. Not even by a demon, by some dumb ass shit with a gun. And having her get shot in the back, blood splatting over Willow. I can hear the shot and see the splat over and over in my head. It kinda made me feel like throwing up. 

But, on the plus side, Willows transformation into Darth Willow was amazing. I would even go as far as saying amazeballs. 


"Your shirt...."

9. The Becoming - Part Two

I guess you could count this as both parts, but the whole season two finale was pretty emotional. Buffy having to kill the love of her life, him gaining his soul right at the last minute - which meant Angel was going to hell to suffer torture and damnation. And Buffy skipping town to deal with her grief alone. Very sad. But when Joyce kicked Buffy out the house.... that really hurt. 

"No weapons... no friends... no hope. Take all that away and what's left?"

10. Grave

This episode gets a totally separate mention, for the yellow crayon speech alone. God, I loved Xander. He didn't have the magic or strength to go up against Willow, but he still had the balls. And when I though Giles was actually dying... I sobbed!

"Is this the master plan? You're gonna stop me by telling me you love me?"

No comments:

Post a Comment